What is a school council?
A school council is group of students who are elected to represent the views of all pupils and to improve their school. As a team we work to make improvements to the school and the way we do things at Kirkby CE. We look around for things that could be better and discuss what to do. Everyone gets a chance to speak and share ideas, then we start working on changing things. Sometimes we have to talk to teachers and the head teacher.
What does the School Council do?
The school council does a number of things:
- The school council meets, with Mrs Kenny, to discuss the ideas of the children, issues and suggestions to improve the school. This may include school lunches, behaviour or ideas for fundraising events.
- Members of the school council are responsible for carrying out the ideas that have been agreed, such as planning events, writing newspaper articles, meeting with staff and contributing to assemblies.
What are the aims of the school council?
- To make sure that our school is a safe and happy place for children.
- To make sure that children have a place to voice their concerns.
- To encourage all children in the school to suggest improvements.
- To make sure any suggestions or concerns are listened to and acted upon.
What makes our school council a good one?
A good school council is one that represents the views of all children and gets things done.
These are some things that make our school council effective:
- Regular meetings.
- A council that is not too big (18 members).
- Class councils that meet regularly.
- Good communication between representatives and their class.
- Smaller groups (subcommittees) working on specific events or issues such as behaviour, rewards or attendance.
What has our school council done?
- Held fundraising event’s for local charities such as the homeless and vulnerable families.
- Worked with our SLT team with implementing our KOFE behaviour initiative.
- Bought playground equipment to help improve playtimes.
- Transform our quad area into a reflection area.
- Develop a school council school newspaper.