Phonics at Kirkby C of E Primary School
At Kirkby C of E Primary School we aim for all our children to become fluent, confident readers who are passionate about reading.
Children who read regularly or are read to regularly have the opportunity to open the doors to so many different worlds! More importantly, reading will give your child the tools to become independent life-long learners.
We use Read Write Inc (RWI) to give our children the best possible start with developing their literacy skills.
Miss Brack is our Read Write Inc subject leader, so if you have any questions about RWI, please do not hesitate to contact her. Please take the time to read the information, as it will provide invaluable information as to how you can help and support your child in reading.
What is Read Write Inc?
Read Write Inc (RWI) is a phonics scheme which helps all children learn to read fluently and at speed, so they can focus on developing their skills in comprehension, vocabularly and spelling. The scheme is designed for children aged 4-7. However, at Kirkby C of E Primary School we begin the scheme from Nursery and continue teaching RWI to children beyond the age of 7 if they still need support in their reading.
How will RWI be taught?
All children are assessed regularly by our RWI lead teachers, so the children are grouped by the same level.
- The children learn to read and write the letters/ letter groups which represent the 44 sounds with the help of fun phrases.
- The children learn to read words using Fred talk, by segmenting and blending the sounds in a word.
- The children use Fred talk to write words.
- The children read a range of storybooks and non- fiction books matached to their phonic knowledge.
- The children develop their comprehension skills in the stories by answering 'find it' and 'prove it' discussion questions.
- The children will access the storybooks online via the Oxford Owl website, https://www.oxfordowl.co.uk/ using their individual log in details.
Set 1 sounds
Set 2 review lessons
Set 3 review lessons
Fred Talk Games
What is RWI phonics
How to say the sounds
The Phonics Screening Check for Year 1
Why read to your child?
Please visit the Ruth Miskin Website for more information and helpful videos.